You hear people talking about DETOX all the time now…what exactly is it? Which is the best method? Do we really need to do it? Well, it refers to any of numerous ways to detoxify the body. Detoxes have been utilized by most cultures throughout history as a way of both preventing illness and regaining health. And, there are a wide number of ways to detox.
The body produces all kinds of toxic elements as a natural byproduct of normal functioning…for instance, whether we look at the C02 that we breath out or the variety of types of free radicals that the body makes with any and all enzyme processes, there are numerous toxicities that the body can eliminate effectively, if healthy.
So if the body can detox effectively, why do we have to do anything?
Our bodies were effectively designed to handle a tremendous amount of toxic byproduct, ingestion, etc. While the intestinal tract, liver and the kidneys are the primary organs/systems utilized for detoxification, the respiratory system and the skin also participate in the natural program. In addition, the adrenals are important for supporting the immune system; regulating the blood sugars; and a variety of other support functions.
If, on the other hand, the body is too overwhelmed, too stressed, too toxic, too compromised, too deficient in nutrient, then it cannot rid itself of even these natural toxicities. In our current society, it is well recognized that the toxic overload on our systems is huge. An ever increasing percentage of the population have depleted levels of glutathione, a compromised liver, a toxic colon, etc, by the age of 30, so we are becoming less and less capable of handling toxicity.
So if we detox on a regular basis, we help the body to function more effectively and prevent diseases and disorders from happening.
In today’s society, we add hugely to the number of toxicities that the body has to eliminate due to:
- the air we breath – huge numbers of toxicities from vehicle exhaust to industrial waste that are carried around the world on the trade winds
- the water we drink – again, huge number of toxicities, from the industrial wastes to pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, and metal toxicities
- to the food we eat – POPs, PCBs, toxic metals, nutrients that have become toxic through process (pasteurizations, microwaves, etc); to completely artificial foods
- to the cleaning products we use – whether to wash our bodies, our clothes, our homes; these products contain high levels of toxic elements (over 90,000 toxic chemicals have been introduced into our lives since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution and it is estimated that over 60% of those are found in our homes)
- to the drugs we use to manage the symptoms (often caused by these very toxins) – vaccinations, anti-depressants, anti-hypertensives, anti-diabetics, to name a few
- psychological stress and gut stress both deplete the body’s capacity of dealing with toxicity
So we are becoming more and more toxic and less and less capable of dealing with it.
So, do we need to detox – absolutely! We need to support the intestines, liver, kidneys, respiratory and skin with the nutrients they need to do the job they were designed to do AND aid them in getting rid of the toxins we are accumulating.
So, how do we effectively detox? Well lets look at some of the methods:
1) we can increase the body’s natural ability to detox, by increasing the body’s capacity to make various compounds like:
- glutathione (an 8 compound complex)
- super oxide dismutase
And we can increase the body’s capacity to make these compounds with products like:
- Protandim (turns on the genes that make the tools to create these compounds: increase glutathione 300%; SOD 30%, Catalase 54%)
- OGF (Dr Keller’s original formula that provided the nutrients to the cells to make glutathione: increase glutathione 300%)
- MAX GXL
- Immunotec (increase glutathione 15-30%)
- Biofoundation G
2) we can use diets: 3 day, 7 day, 21 days diets that both balance the pH in the body and eliminate alot of the toxicities
- Master Cleanse – drinking a combination of maple syrup, lemon juice, water & cayenne pepper for a serious of days
- Juju Cleanse – drinking a combination of juices: beets, carrots, ginger, pineapple; ginger, honey, lemon; etc
- Super charged cleanse – drinking a combination of acia berry, milk thistle, Vitamin B 12, cranberry extract
- Candida Cleanse – involves eating only steamed or raw non-starchy vegetables and a detox drink
- Dr Oz’s 48 hour Cleanse – drinking smoothies; eating raw vegetables; drinking Dandelion tea; taking Epsom salt baths
3) we can purchase specific types of cleanses from a variety of companies and MLMs
- Wild Rose Detox
- New Life
- etc etc
4) we can use far infra red
- blankets (jade, amethist, etc)
5) we can use foot patches
- Chikusaku Bamboo Vinegar Foot Detox Patches
- Body Relief Detox Footpads
- Kinoki Detox Foot Pads
- or foot detox baths – note: the color/pattern of the water indicating a specific disorder has never been scientifically studied
6) drinking water with a high pH level can also help the body to eliminate toxic waste, often our bodies are dehydrated because we drink caffeinated and sugared drinks & bottled water with low pH, rather than fresh, alkaline, mineral live water. We do get alot of water from fresh fruits and vegetables, but unfortunately, in today’s world, even this water is largely contaminated with toxins from the soils and fertilizers that have been utilized to grow the food
- Ionizing systems
- Filtering systems
- In terms of types of water, here are some basic definitions to keep in mind:
Purified water: Water that is physically processed to remove impurities (e.g., distillation, deionization, reverse osmosis, carbon filtration, etc.)
Distilled water: Water that is boiled and evaporated away from its dissolved minerals, and then the vapor is condensed.
Bottled Water. This water is typically from a spring or has gone through reverse osmosis before it is bottled. However, some brands are simply bottled tap water that may or may not have gone through any additional filtering.
Ionized water or alkaline water: Water that has been separated into alkaline and acid fractions using electrolysis, which takes advantage of the naturally occurring electric charges found in the magnesium and calcium ions; in the drinking water industry, ionized water refers to alkaline water, which has a pH greater than 7.
Deionized or demineralized water: Water in which the mineral ions (salts such as sodium, calcium, iron, copper, chloride and bromide) have been removed by exposing it to electrically charged resins that attract and bind to the salts.
Hard and soft water: Hard water is any water containing an appreciable quantity of dissolved minerals; soft water is treated water in which the only cation (positively charged ion) is sodium.
Or we can make a water detox with
- lemon, cucumber & mint
- cucumber, ginger & mint
- strawberry & rosemary
- apple & cinnamon
So how do we choose what is the most beneficial? Arguements can be made both for and against almost all of these methods….so how do you choose what is best for you.
Here is an outline of what you may want to start with:
6. Living with conscious intent – being aware of the thoughts, emotions and behaviours you engage in and choose to engage effectively
7. Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes. Preferably doing this with a filter so that you do not open the pores in the skin and end up absorbing the chlorine in the water
8. Utilizing some form of far infrared / sauna / patch system to help your body sweat out toxins through the skin (we do not eliminate all toxins through the skin, but we do eliminate quite a few)
9. Use a dry brush to increase circulation and help your body flush out toxins and improve nutrient delivery. Special brushes are available at natural products stores.
10. Exercise: walking, yoga, Tai Chi, QiGong, etc. Any kind of movement that gently increases the body’s capacity to move blood, lymph, CSF, etc allows the body to detox, eliminate properly, move nutrients, etc
I will not argue whether you have more than one life…I cannot prove either belief…but I can certainly argue that you only get one body in this life time…take good care of your body and it will take good care of you! My grandmother died a healthy woman of 100 years, in her sleep. I hope to spend the latter years of my life healthy, rather than in pain, and ill health. I am willing to engage in these simple behaviors to make that happen…are YOU?
For more information, contact: Dr Holly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2013 © Choices Unlimited for Health & Wellness
Disclaimer: This site is provided for general information only, and is not a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or other health care professional. This site is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a user based on the content of this website. This site is not liable for the contents of any external internet sites listed, nor does it endorse any commercial product or service mentioned or advised on any of such sites. Always consult your own health care practitioner.