Most people have heard or are aware that there is a major issue with weight gain and diabetes. It has been getting increasingly worse over the past few decades.
Most people associate diabetes with weight gain, excess sugar, and poor diet, maybe even lack of exercise. Including physicians. But there are many causes of weight gain besides excess sugar; many thin have diabetes; and too many people lack good physical exercise. Most people also consider diabetes a diagnosis – it is a Symptom NOT a diagnosis.
So first, let’s look at the different types of sugar imbalances; then at some causes; then at some statistics; then at some resolutions:
- What are the major sugar imbalances?
- Hypoglycemic – low blood glucose levels
- Type 2
- Type 1 – used to be called early onset or childhood diabetes; perhaps linked to genetics
Let’s take it a step further. In old Ayurveda medicine, there are 20 different types of sugar metabolism disorders!! We have: hypoglycemia, metabolic disorder/prediabetes, diabetes types 1 and diabetes type 2. That’s it!! For all of our so called advanced medicine, we are limited to those 4 diagnoses.
- What are the causes of diabetes? When looking at MDs, they are typically taught that diabetes is due to diet; and it affects the insulin receptors and the pancreas that produces the insulin. However, in today’s world or real research, we now know that diabetes can be caused from a number of other issues.
Causes may range from – note the actual cause is not known, Western medicine hypothesizes causes with issues that show some correlation – like we have said so many times, Western Conventional medicine is not based on evidence as we are taught, but rather most of it is still based on hypotheses:
- Poor diet – excess of simple carbs; microwave foods; processed/pasteurized foods
- Excess sugar in the body
- Viral or bacterial infection
- Depleted or imbalances in gut bacteria
- Liver issues
- Adrenal issues
- Insulin receptor issues – insulin resistance – excess sugar stays in the blood
- Pancreatic issues
- Maybe genetics – but they are off switches AND can be affected by the probiotics in your gut
- Let’s look at some statistics:
- It is suggested that In the US, over 30 million have undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes
- The rate of diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes increased between 6-9%, for youth between the ages of 10-19 yrs of age, with Native Americans, Asian/Pacific, and Non-Hispanic Blacks
- Or if we look at gender differences: 6.2% in females and 3.7% in males
- 70% of college students gain weight during their studies – most during the first year
- Only 30% of obese people are diabetics – if excess weight causes diabetes, then there is a problem here; however, 90% of people with diabetes are overweight – is the diabetes causing the weight or the weight causing the diabetes
- People with diabetes are more likely to have:
- Cardiovascular issues – most common cause of death in diabetics are heart disease and stroke
- Kidney issues – diabetes is the most common cause of kidney issues
- Liver issues
- Eye issues – diabetic retinopathy – about 500,000 Canadians
- Blurred vision
- Flashes of light
- Sudden loss of vision
- Blotches or spots in vision
- Nervous system issues – neuropathies – nerve damage
- Pain – usually in the feet and hands
- Issues with the digestive system
- Issues with the urinary tract
- Skin issues – diabetic foot ulcers – initial event in 85%+ amputations
- Skeletal issues – amputations – 73,000/yr for diabetics
- People who are not overweight can develop diabetes as well
- Again by infection
- Or by “skinny fat” – fat that grows around the organs rather than under the skin – medical term is MONW – an acronym that means metabolically obese, normal weight
- Smokers have a higher risk of developing diabetes
So let’s a few moments and look at each of these issues individually:
- Poor diet – yes definitely, a poor diet can cause diabetes. We all know that when you eat fast food, junk food, pasteurized foods, microwaved foods, processed foods, you are depleting the body of nutrient and increasing the number of toxins in the body. The body gets compromised and your body loses the capacity to function properly.
- An excess of sugar regardless of whether it is:
- Directly, i.e., in alcohol, baking and bread, boxed dinners, breakfast cereals, candy, canned fruit, crap chocolate, deserts, granola/cereal/nutrition/health bars, ice cream, jams/jellies, juice, pastas, salad dressings, sauces (barbecue sauce & ketchup are the worst) sodas, sweetened yogurt, etc.
- Or if it is in food that turns to sugar quickly in the gut:
- starchy vegetables (potatoes, cooked carrots, peas)
- legumes (peas, lima beans, black eyed peas
- fruit like oranges
- Or food that is naturally high in sugar like some fruits:
- Dried fruits like raisins
- Starchy fruit: bananas, pumpkin
- Soft apples, mangoes, watermelon, figs, grapes
So what happens when we have an excess of sugar in the body?
- Refined sugars cause excess glucose that causes cell walls or membranes to harden
- It combines with lipids and proteins and makes AGEs (Advanced Glycation Endproducts). There are over 100 of these compounds in the body and they are worse than the well-known free radicals. They attach to cells and cause whole cells to go into dysfunction or die. They can attach to cells in the:
Digestive system – inflammatory gut issues like IBS, leaky gut syndrome, etc
Blood vessels – arteries and veins
Cardio system – problems with the heart muscle, the valves,
Nervous system – causing neuropathies, damaged nerves, dementias, strokes, parkinsonian issues
Old Western Conventional medicine beliefs stated that the greatest number of neurons and nerves you had, were at birth. From then on, we lost them. However, in the late 1990s, it was discovered that the brain and body do actually make new neurons and nerves. So many of the issues identified above do have an opportunity to be reversed, although most MDs are not aware of it.
Immune system – whether in the gut or through the lymphatic system
Respiratory system –
Any organ whether it be the liver, adrenals, pancreas, etc
Nutrient deficiency – sugar increases urinary excretion of chromium; an imbalance in the calcium phosphorus ratio, magnesium, manganese, cobalt, copper, zinc which in turns depletes the absorption of trace minerals
- And of course, we now know that sugar alters the microbiota of the gut which can effect the whole entire system through the:
- Vascular system
- Hormonal system
- Nervous system
WOW!!! Are you getting an understanding of why an unhealthy diet and/or diabetes can cause so many different diseases or dysfunctions? It is huge. You have to understand what a toxin sugar is – and here we hand it out to children at Halloween and give it to friends and families at Christmas and Valentine’s Day and Easter and on special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. One day we are going to look back and see how crazy this was. We are poisoning people with it!!
- C) But did you know that diabetes has other causes as well as the well-known toxic sugar issue? Congenital Rubella is known to cause Type 1 diabetes. The virus teaches our T cells to attack the Beta Langerhans cells in the pancreas, that produce insulin, thus creating Type 1 diabetes.
But now we are recognizing that viruses and bacteria can cause diabetes markers like insulin resistance, glucose intolerance and systemic inflammation.
- E) what about the liver – well once, sugars move from the digestive tract into the portal blood system, they go to the liver and the liver is the next metabolic filtering of the sugar. If there is too much sugar, the liver attempts to regulate it by creating fat. Now we have a non-alcoholic fatty liver (NAFL) syndrome. Which is why even vegans or vegetarians can have a NAFL. Now stop for a moment and think of what the liver, the largest organ in the body, does – over 500 functions that support every other system and organ in the body. So if starts to get compromised, anything can be a target. Oh dear…good reason to eliminate those sugars?
- F) and then we have the adrenals – those tiny little glands are next in line for regulating the sugars in the body. However, if you are stressed – either psychologically of physically – your adrenals loose their capacity to regulate the blood sugars and then the body has to rely on the insulin receptors.
- G) when the insulin receptors get depleted then the pancreas stops producing insulin
It is only these last two steps that MDs look at with diabetes. Why? That is what they are taught.
Further, they think in terms of managing it. Today, most are open enough to say you can manage different levels of it with diet. And while they are correct, that is only one piece to the puzzle.
Again, diabetes is a symptom not a disease. A diabetic profile can be due to your gut, your liver, your adrenals, even an infection! In fact, your gut, liver and adrenals are usually impacted long before your insulin receptors and the pancreas. But if they only focus on the end result, they will never resolve the cause and you of course, will be on medications for the rest of your life.
From a Western Conventional medicine perspective, they look at management not elimination of the “disease”. The primary medication prescribed today is Metformin. What is that? Well they found a berberine compound in plants, called an alkaloid, that has an impact on sugar metabolism. They isolated the compound from all the other compounds in the plants – and these other compounds help us metabolize, digest, absorb and utilize the berberine.
Think for a minute, what in nature operates in isolation. In your body, in an animal, in plants, anywhere in nature or the universe?
Then what they did is make a synthetic version of it. Why? Because Big Pharma can’t patent and make money off of something that is natural!!
Now think again. More and more research is showing that synthetic versions of natural compounds can be more toxic to the body than beneficial. And please note, this applies to nutraceutical compounds as well.
Then they give this unnatural, isolated, synthetic version of a natural compound to you as a prescription. It can cause a depletion of CoQ10 – which you need to make energy or fuel at a cellular level. It can cause lactic acidosis. It can also cause:
- Anxiety, shakiness
- Blue/cold skin
- Breathing issues
- Decreased appetite
- Depleted vitamin B12 (important for brain function; energy; removes homocysteine from the blood so you don’t get inflamed arteries and heart disease; involved with healthy strong bones; prevents nerve damage – the myelin sheath that insulates and protects nerves); supports healthy DNA)
- Difficulties urinating
- Irregular heart beats
- Low back pain or side pain
- Muscle pain
- Stomach pain (gas, nausea and vomiting)
Oh my goodness…do you really want to embark on that kind of process? And continuing to take more and more drugs as the years go on because you are not addressing the underlying cause and creating more and more problems by trying to manage the symptoms with toxic chemicals?
On would you rather follow a healthy diet and take a herbal tinctures, and eliminate your diabetes in a 1-2 months.
What do we do? First, we explore what is causing the diabetes. One of the first things we look at is the gut. Then we look at additional issues like the liver and the adrenals, then more cellular functions like the mitochondria and methylation processes.
We also look for toxic chemicals like : flame retardants or PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers – which are used in building materials and plastics) or what about BPAs (which is a synthetic estrogen found in plastics and cans that are used for food and drinking packaging and epoxy resins – that lines metal cans) or even arsenic – found in chickens, rice, dark meat fish, Brussel sprouts – attracts to the sulfur compounds – beer & wine). We eliminate arsenic easily if our methylation processes are working well. People who have good levels of B12, omega 3s and animal protein eliminate arsenic better.
Then we put together a protocol that is just for you – not for the masses – but for explicitly what your body requires.
It there are issues with your probiotics, your methylation cycles, etc. we work at correcting them, until the body can take over and re-engage in its natural healing processes.
Sounds more logical to me. But you have to be the one who decides.
Here’s to you, your decision-making processes, and your health.
Make an appointment with Dr Holly: 604 764 5203 OR firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more information on health, click on www.DrHollyBooks.com.
Read a sexy romantic novel, then go for Entwined: A Romantic Journey Back into Health. A sexy romantic novel, packed full of information on a wide variety of health issues.
Or the sequel: Entwined: The Continuing Journey.
Or Maria’s book (from the Entwined Collection): A Love that Crosses Time.
Listen to Dr Holly’s Whole Health Initiative, click on www.NewsForTheSoul.com Wed at noon. The program goes around the world. Be part of the network.
Get emails, blogs, articles, videos, questionnaires, books, etc. Just click on www.WholeHealthInitiative.ca and sign up for a different psychological or physiological health focus each month.
You or someone you know suffering from depression? Click onto the F*R*E*E depression video series on www.ChoicesUnlimited.ca
Here’s to your health!
For more information, contact: Dr Holly at email@example.com
Copyright 2019 © Choices Unlimited for Health & Wellness
Disclaimer: This site is provided for general information only, and is not a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or other health care professional. This site is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a user based on the content of this website. This site is not liable for the contents of any external internet sites listed, nor does it endorse any commercial product or service mentioned or advised on any of such sites. Always consult your own health care practitioner.