Prozac is an anti-depressant, also known as : Prozac, Sarafem, Fontex
It belongs to a category of anti-depressants called SSRIs – Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. Anti-depressants have never been proven to cure a problem that medicine still has no understanding of. It has been promoted for the last several decades that low serotonin causes depression – it was then extended to norephinephrine and dopamine.
The challenge is that it has never been proven that a deficiency of these mono-amines cause depression. Depression is, however, the number one symptom in a variety of other disorders and dysfunctions.
What we do know about Prozac, however, is that it depletes a very important mineral in the body. Magnesium is required for over 300 known functions in every cell of the body.
Magnesium is involved in the:
- process that makes the fuel for the cells: ATP
- nerve conduction & regulation of the Central Nervous System
- cardiac function (some claim that Magnesium is more important to preventing heart attacks than Calcium)
- muscle relaxation
- immune function
- prevents calcification of organs and tissues
- involved in detoxification and self cleansing
- protects against aluminum, beryllium, cadmium, lead, mercury, and nickel
- protects the brain from the effects of toxic chemicals
- involved in the synthesis of insulin as well as, the function and transportation of insulin
Sufficient levels of magnesium protect against:
- blood pressure
- heart disease
- kidney stones
Magnesium deficiency is related to:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Anxiety disorders
- Chronic fatique syndrome
- Congestive heart failure
- Diabetes (type I & II)
- High blood pressure
- Parkinson’s disease
- Thyroid disorders
Magnesium deficiency is also related to:
- aggressive behaviour
- depressive behaviour
- suicidal behaviour
This is not only a problem because of drugs like Prozac, but because it is estimated that between 70-90% of the North American population is already deficient in magnesium – because it is not in the soil and therefore not in our food.
So what is it about Prozac that disrupts magnesium? There are 3 ways that Prozac depletes magneisum:
1)It is the floride ions which interefere with the biological activity of the magnesium ions
2) Prozac provokes the stress hormone called cortisol that is already known to deplete magnesium
3) Prozac causes a sleep disorders which depletes growth hormone which depletes magnesium
Then if that wasn’t bad enough, magnesium deficiency causes serotonin deficiency – so we have gone full circle. They claim that depression is caused by low level of serotonin and then give a drug that depletes a mineral that causes serotonin depletion – WOW!!
BUT, that isn’t the worst of it…Magnesium works best with zinc an vitamin B6 – but Prozac depletes those nutrients as well!!
And yes, there is more…stress depletes magnesium – so when people suffer from depression and anxiety OR agitated depression where the adrenals are overworked – Magnesium is deficient – Prozac worsens the problem –
Researchers found that:
1) In Diabetes Care, 2006, two huge long term studies concluded that those who consumed the most magnesium in their diet were least likely to develop type 2 diabetes.
2) Dr. Jerry L. Nadler claimed that , “The link between diabetes ellitus and magnesium deficiency is well known. Magnesium is crucial in both the production of energy and neurotransmitters, not to mention the integrity of the blood brain barrier. It is bedrock science that connects magnesium to neurological disorders
3) The Department of Family Medicine, Pomeranian Medical Academy, states that dietetic factors can play a significant role in the origin of ADHD and that magnesium deficiency can result in disruptive behaviors. Even a mild deficiency of magnesium can cause sensitiveness to noise, nervousness, irritability, mental depression, confusion, twitching, trembling, apprehension, and insomnia (and of course, they have another drug for that: Zyprexa™ )
4) In 2000, the NIH (National Institute of Health) identified depression as a sign of magnesium deficiency!!
We know that stress depletes magnesium; we have a diet that is depleted in magnesium; and then we add in drugs like Prozac that further deplete whatever amounts of magnesium we may have!!!
Did you know that the real chocolate seed, is the most pharamcologically comples, nutrient dense food in the world. That it is the number one source of magnesium in the world…but only with the special patent provided by Xocai – that protects the over 300 nutrients in the chocolate seed and makes sure that what is in the seed gets to your mouth!!!
Dr. Sircus, Magnesium for Life: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3082450/magnesium-for-life
Dr. James Balch, Prescription for Nutritional Healing (2000/2002)
Now the challenge with Magnesium is that it comes in 12 different forms – of which only 3 are bioavailable – which kind your body will respond best to depends on a number of factors…So find a good health practitioner that will help to get your magnesium levels up effectively.
Here’s to your health.
For more information, contact: Dr Holly at email@example.com
Copyright 2012 © Choices Unlimited for Health & Wellness
Disclaimer: This site is provided for general information only, and is not a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or other health care professional. This site is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a user based on the content of this website. This site is not liable for the contents of any external internet sites listed, nor does it endorse any commercial product or service mentioned or advised on any of such sites. Always consult your own health care practitioner.