- about 72 beats per minute
- beats about 100,000 times per day
- pumps about 2000 gallons of blood a day; about 1.5 million barrels of blood in a lifetime
- your blood travels through about 60,000 miles of vessels
and the list goes on and on. Unfortunately, the heart and the whole cardio system is associated with all kinds of myths and misconceptions. So let’s look at a few:
1) cholesterol is a huge issue that causes all kinds of problems – WRONG!!
our body makes over 80% of our cholesterol – why? Because we need it for all kinds of things from bile to steroid hormones to cell membrane and much more
2) HDL is good and LDL is bad – WRONG!!
there are all kinds of both HDLs and LDLs and other types of cholesterols as well. There are good guys in the LDL category and bad guys in the HDL categories and it is usually the other categories that cause any problem
3) High cholesterol causes high blood pressure – WRONG!!
- it is usually inflammation in the arteries that cause high blood pressure – not cholesterol
- cholesterol is like the fireman at the fire – when a blood vessel starts to leak – Cholesterol comes to the rescue and patches it up so you don’t bleed to death
- leading cardiologists around the world are now acknowledging that alternative medicine was right all along
4) Cholesterol causes plaque in the arteries – WRONG!!
while there may be some cholesterol plaque – much more plaque is caused by compounds like:
- heavy metals
- environmental and food toxicities
- AGEs (Advanced Glycation Endproducts – found in foods like baking and ice cream and junk food)
- when certain cholesterols gets oxidized – that is when they cause a problem and that is usually do to low levels of Vitamin D3 and K2
5) We should take statin drugs to regulate our cholesterol – WRONG!!
- statin drugs not only stop the body from making the much needed cholesterol, but it also stops the body from making important compounds like CoQ10 – which is needed to make the fuel in every cell of the body!!
- statin drugs have not been shown to be effective in stopping or preventing heart attacks or death
6) Statin drugs have minimal side effects – WRONG!! They can cause:
- muscle damage
- digestive issues: nausea, diarrhea, constipation
- rashes or flushing
- neurological effects: memory loss, confusion,
- liver damage
- kidney failure
- death (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statin-side-effects/art-20046013)
7) What are the benefits of statin drugs? Well out of 1000 people taking the drug, they will prevent:
- 2 deaths
- 4 strokes
- 7 non fatal heart attacks (http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28352290)
8) High cholesterol is caused by the diet – WRONG!!
- We need plant sterols for a wide variety of functions in the body
- Dietary cholesterol contributes very little to cholesterol production in the body
The challenge is that the medical journals are edited/governed by Big Pharma – so only the studies that indicate the need for a drug get published. Further, the medical journals have about 90% advertisements for drugs and a few actual studies thrown in. In addition, we are finding out more and more how these studies were fraudulent.
There are a variety of foods and herbs that regulate cholesterol in the body:
- apple cider vinegar
- additional fibers
- ground flax seed
- red yeast rice
- Herbs like:
- artichoke plant
The challenge is finding good soil produced NON GMO, organic herbs and spices and foods that have not been radiated.
Find a good health practitioner – clean your arteries – strengthen your heart. Use real food/medicine – NOT – synthetic, artificial drugs that further deplete your body.