There are a variety of plant nutrients or phytonutrients that fight cancer in a number of ways….let’s look at some of them…
Foods & Herbs that turn on apoptosis (pre programmed cell death) in cancer cells:
1) Catechins: a group of polyphenolic compounds found in real chocolate and green tea, and turn on the genes responsible for cell death. These genes are turned off in cancer cells which allow them to keep propagating without dying.
Foods & Herbs that change the membrane potentiation of cells so that they absorb oxygen (creating an alkaline environment) rather than sugars (that create an acidic environment).
Foods & Herbs that block angiogenesis (new blood vessels) and consequently block the nutrients to the cancer cells.
Other foods and herbs that protect against cancer…
1) Lycopene is most abundant in tomatoes with smaller amounts in pink grapefruit, watermelon, guava, and rose hips. Lycopene makes up approximately 50% of the total carotenoids in blood plasma of those persons consuming typical Western diets. It protects against prostate, cervical, breast, digestive tract and lung cancers, and perhaps atherosclerosis
2) Beta- carotene intake is associated with reduced risk of breast, stomach, esophageal, and pancreatic cancers
3) Beta-cryptoxanthin, found mostly in fruits like oranges, tangerine and papayas, is second only to beta carotene as a source of vitamin A. Cryptoxanthin, again demonstrating the
4) According to the molecular biology web site from Princeton
University, saponins also inhibit the multiplication of cancer cells by interfering with their DNA.21 Alfalfa and other legumes, especially soy, are the most common sources.
5) Tocotrienols appear to inhibit breast cancer cell growth, whereas tocopherols have been most studied for their cardiovascular health effects. 2
6) Flavonoids reduce the risk of estrogen-induced cancers via interfering with the enzymes that produce estrogen. For example, according to Harper’s Biochemistry, flavonoids inhibit estrogen synthesase, an enzyme that binds estrogen to receptors in several organs.
7) Isoflavones, of which genistein and daidzein are the most known and studied, and are a distant cousin to flavonoids. h. It is now well recognized that
peoples who consume traditional diets rich in fermented soy foods experience less breast, uterine and prostate cancers.
8) Lignans are found in seeds and grains, especially flaxseed called secoisolariciresinol glucoside (SDG). According to the National Cancer Institute reports, vegetarians have higher concentrations than omnivores, as do tumor free patients when compared with breast and colon cancer patients.
9) Organosulfur or cruciferous vegetables provide sulfur which is required for the whole spectrum of glutathione compounds that are required for the immune system; the organosulfurs provide glutcosinolates which are converted into the Indole-3-carbinol, isothiocyanates and thiosulfonates all of which fight carcinogens.
10) Thiosulfonates support phase II detox and consequently enhance protection against a wide variety of carcinogens.
11) Many of the thousands of anti-oxidants prottect against cancers including:
- caffeic acid: burdock root
- cinnamic acid: aloe and the cinnamon family (cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg)
- coumaric acid: tumeric
- ellagic acid: guava, currants, apples, grapes, strawberries, raspberries, cherries
- ferulic acid: oats and rice
- gallic acid: various teas
- oxalic acid: spinach, rhubarb, tea & coffee
- salicylic acid: spearmint,
- tartaric acid: nettles, tea, berries
- tannic acid
Yes, there are many ways to alter the cancer process…but basic to everything is breathing…make sure you get enough oxygen into your system and you will protect yourself against cancers…
91 years ago the German physiologist/medical doctor, Otto Heinrich Warburg was the first to discover the healing power of oxygen. He addressed a very prestigious group of Nobel Laureates:
“Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar.”
So how come we spend billions of dollars on cancer and forget to tell people to breath? Oh yeah, there’s no money in it…
Here’s to your health!
For more information, contact: Dr Holly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2015 © Choices Unlimited for Health & Wellness
Disclaimer: This site is provided for general information only, and is not a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or other health care professional. This site is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a user based on the content of this website. This site is not liable for the contents of any external internet sites listed, nor does it endorse any commercial product or service mentioned or advised on any of such sites. Always consult your own health care practitioner.